Saturday 21 May 2011

Belted Galloway Sale, Thirsk.




Today Ive been let out, on my own, with the Landrover and trailer and a blank cheque to buy cattle. Brilliant!! Its never happened before !
Well I say on my own, I did take my friend Denise with me.
We went to Thirsk Auction to the Belted Galloway Cattle sale. Chris and I had perused the catalogue and decided on a few that sounded ok on paper, mostly heifers which have never calved before.
There was a cow for sale with the most adorable little bull calf, only a month old, and I really wanted to buy her. However I decided to drop out of the bidding at £1150 and it made £1175, shame really.
However later in the sale there were a couple of heifers that I liked and these I did buy. You cant go all that way towing a trailer and come back with it empty!!
So the photos arent very good but here are todays purchases Crystal Clove from Cumbria and Maybeck Aimie from Whitby.
When we got back we put them in the field with some other youngstock, we cant put them with the cows as the bull is in there and we dont want them to become acquainted just yet! In the field already were 3 heifers and our one male calf, Arnold, who didnt seem in the least bit impressed that he has to share with even more girls!!! ( just in case you wonder why hes not interested, and Ill whisper....hes been castrated!!)
So for a first off buying trip it seems that my farmer is happy and I may even be let out on my own again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment