Monday 25 July 2011

Moorland Flowers









Now im into blogging I seem to be taking my camera everywhere with me and a couple of days ago I went with Chris up to the Moor to see the cows. Its fair to say everything is in full bloom but one thing we noticed in abundance was the little pink flowers, its just a carpet of pink in places.
However neither of us knew what the little flowers were so I sent the photo to Marion at FWAG/Nidderdale AONB and asked what it was and she has told me its Wild Thyme.
Before the farm went into the Environmental scheme, Higher Level Stewardship, we used to run more sheep on the moor than we do now. Now the head count is much less we are noting more and more of nature bursting back to life.
Thyme is a low growing plant up to 2 cm tall with creeping stems up to 10 cm long, with oval evergreen leaves 3–8 mm long.
The strongly scented flowers very in colour from lilac, pink-purple, magenta, or a rare white, and has a scent ranging from heavily herbal to lightly lemon, depending on the plant.
Its really beautiful to see it all !!

No comments:

Post a Comment