Friday 5 November 2010

Out to lunch at Middlethorpe Hall !!



























Yesterday I had a day off and I went to Middlethorpe Hall Hotel and Spa just outside York to meet friends for lunch. I met up with two fellow Farm Stay members, Katrina from The Wold Cottage on the Yorkshire Wolds and Anna Lupton of Carr House Farm Ampleforth.
I hadnt been there before but I have to say its a beautiful place. Middlethorpe Hall is a William III country house set in 20 acres of its own gardens and parkland. Built in 1699, it was once the home of the famous diarist, Lady Mary Wortley Montagu.
The house is decorated with antiques and fine pictures and the gardens and parkland have been restored and include ha ha's, a white garden, a walled garden, a small lake and some beautiful specimen trees.
The panelled dining room that we sat in overlooked the gardens . The food looked like a picture on a plate and tasted wonderful. I started with a Chicken and Mushroom terrine with pickled girolles ( had to ask what they were, small mushrooms in case you didnt know either!!) and toasted Brioche, and then a main course of Baked Chicken breast on a bed of lentils with baby onions. I wasnt going to have dessert but then couldnt resist the home made ice cream!! A lovely young man from Cannes was our waiter and the whole time we sat there, which was quite a long time, too much talking I suppose, was very relaxed. Middlethorpe Hall has been awarded two Rosettes by the AA, and much deserved.
We said we should do this more often and we proposed to meet in the spring before we get busy again with B&B and so that I can escape the lambing sheds for a while!! Not sure what Chris will think to that one!! All in all a good day

No comments:

Post a Comment